Skip to main content

D-Day Memories

Eighty years ago today, my 20-year old father walked off a landing craft into the choppy waters of Omaha Beach at Normandy. In April 1994, shortly before his 70th birthday, he sent me some memories of his time in the Army. He was part of an anti-aircraft unit; when he refers to "tracks", those are the half-tracks (tires in front, tank-style tracks in back) with the guns mounted on top. Below are his experiences on D-Day: a ground-level view from a somewhat sarcastic private. This is as written, except for my comments and explanations in square brackets.

On May [he meant June] 4 the order came to move out. We drove down to the beach and loaded our tracks on LCTS (LANDING CRAFT TANK). Then, as is the custom in the military, we sat around and waited. While waiting, I ran my assets of 40 cents up to $140 in a dice game. I loaned the money back to the losers (and never saw a cent of it again), but it did pass the time.

Off we went, with braves [waves] breaking over the sides of the LCT. That was when I learned to swallow pills. I took my seasick tablets and those of the tough guys who didn't need them. I made it; they became helpless. Eisenhower must have gotten word that sick men are poor fighters because we turned back to port. The next night we tried again and, according to the history books, this time we kept going.

Our orders were to land at H-hour plus 120, or two hours after the first engineers (to clear the land mines) and first waves of infantry. Our mission was to provide anti-aircraft cover for the landing. It was lucky that there weren't many German fighters about because our guns quickly went under water.

The LCTs stopped about 100-200 yards offshore, to the best of memory. I'm not sure whether that was due to caution or because of orders. Anyway, once again I was one of the chosen. The captain ordered our platoon to send men out to test the water depth to see if the tracks could make it to shore. The platoon sergeant ordered our squad to furnish the volunteers. The corporal selected me, the "new guy" of the platoon, Adam of the iron fist (presumably because he was not one of the Missouri boys), and Long, who was even newer to the squad than I. Adam was to go straight, I was to veer right and Long was to veer left. Adam went straight, I veered right, Long grabbed Adam's cartridge belt and stayed right behind him.

After several yards in chest-high water, I went in over my head. I inflated my lifebelt (a rubber belt of two compartments that inflated when squeezed in a way that activated, I believe, carbon dioxide pellets). Whoever designed those things should be sentenced to wear them for eternity. Their chief function was to pitch the wearer face first into the water. The only way they worked was if worn under the arm pits. Belt indeed.

Choking and gasping I struggled along until I reached a swamped truck. The crew of the truck was sitting on the hood, wondering whether to "smoke" or wind their watches. They asked me, since I was already damp, to free the winch cable on the front bumper in case they could get a tow. I obliged, only to discover that the cable was wired tight. When I requested wire cutters, they replied that they were in the locked tool box and no one had a key. For want of a nail the shoe was lost, etc. It occurred to me later that it would have been a simple matter to shoot the lock off the tool box, but who would expect soldiers to destroy government property. So, I bid them adieu and proceeded shoreward.

While wandering along the beach to get lined up with my LCT I encountered the company headquarters track. I climbed in and chatted with the company clerk. I think it was from him I learned that the captain already had bought it, also that another platoon's half-track, that had made it to shore, had caught a direct hit. The gunner, a very nice guy with a wife and family, was blown to pieces and several others were wounded. (In fact, if you have seen my duffle bag, it isn't really mine; it belonged to Helmer Hrincer, one of the wounded men. It was turned over to me after all my gear went down with the LCT.)

One interesting procedure caught my attention while I sat in the company track observing the action. The big LCIs [Landing Craft Infantry] were anchored probably a quarter mile from the beach, probably because their draft wouldn't let them into shallower water. They lowered DUCKS (I've forgotten what the acronym signified; anyway they were trucks designed to be amphibious.) [DUKW is General Motors' manufacturing code: D indicates the model year, 1942; U is the body style, utility (amphibious); K for all-wheel drive; and W for dual rear axles.] One Duck lowered; one Duck swamped. Two Ducks lowered; two Ducks swamped. I don't know how long that went on given the proclivity of the military mind to ignore evidence that something doesn't work the way it was designed to work.

My progress had me opposite our LCT. A welcoming committee overwhelmed me just as I waded up to the ramp. What? Not a warm welcome? No, they were abandoning ship. An 88-millimeter crew had zeroed in on our pitiful little boat just as I came back from the depths. So I turned and went with the flow. All the work to waterproof the half-track gone. All the extra food we had stowed away under the turret gone. All the pocket books I had stuffed into my duffel bag gone. C'est le guerre.

After everyone was on the beach, the new acting captain told us to move up the hill and dig in. I learned the next day that the man (Brewer) who was digging in beside me caught a mortar round right on his head. I often have wondered how I could have been unaware of it. I guess grabbing a faceful of dirt had become so unconscious that, after the explosion, I resumed digging without looking around.

Later that night we watched our LCT -- and others -- burn and explode as the ammunition went off. One lieutenant (nicknamed "Joker" behind his back because of his frequent use of the expression) remarked, "Well, jokers, we won't have to worry about those #$&*#+ things anymore." On the following night (by then we were on top of the bluff) he had a bad experience. Shells started falling and everyone dove into the nearest cover. The lieutenant flew face first into his foxhole, only to come up sputtering with rage. "Some joker," he spat, "shit in my foxhole." The Joker was reassigned to the States to train more anti-aircraft troops so we never heard from him again.

That covers the highlights of D-Day from my vantage point. A dirty, frightening, miserable and uncomfortable experience. One must wonder that if the Allied forces were that inefficient, how much greater the German foul-ups must have been. War not only is hell, it's humbling.


Don Brown, front row center.
No identification on the back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start

I created this blog nearly 13 years ago. I intended to post about genealogy, both about my personal research and in general, but just never made time for it. Now, thanks to Amy Johnson Crow's #52ancestors initiative, I will at least get started. Appropriately, the topic for week 1 is Start and I'm using that to cover how I got started with genealogy. It began when I was a child, with my mother's mother's Chambers family of Delaware County, Ohio. Like many families, this one had annual reunions. Unlike most, they had a president, secretary, and treasurer, and kept annual minutes of reunion attendees and births, marriages, and deaths over the preceding year. There were always one or two people who were the de facto family genealogists. Each year they'd turn up with some new find, maybe some pictures, or a new branch, or a book. But often it was just a discussion and my mother would jot down notes, trying to keep up with the speaker. Later I'd type them up (b

Invite to Dinner

Week 4 of #52ancestors - Invite to Dinner Which ancestor would I most want to invite to dinner?  I'd go with my grandfather, Chester Brown. He died when I was just a year old, and he's the only grandparent I have no memory of. Even my mother's mother, who died when I was 6, left me a handful of warm fuzzy memories. My father never talked much about him. When I asked what his job was, the answer was "mostly odd jobs here and there".  I don't know if that was because of who he was or because it was the Depression. Maybe some of both. I got the impression he was handy. My father kept some of his tools until late in life, when my parents sold their house to move into a retirement facility. When I was a teenager his life and death seemed like ancient history.  There was an old black and white photo of him on a side table at my grandmother's. In an era of color pictures and Polaroids, that photo might as well have been from 1900. I realize now that for my

100 years later: Don Brown in pictures

My father Don (always Donald to his mother) Brown was born 100 years ago, April 29, 1924. He lived to age 90, almost 91. The 100-year mark seems like a fitting time to remember him in pictures. These are by no means comprehensive, but they are what I could find and scan in time for his birthday.   This was taken in November 1924 when he was 6 months old. Posing kids with animals was such a thing back then. Usually horses and dogs, but I have a picture of some of my dad's Wootton cousins when they were little, sitting in a cart being drawn by a goat. This is obviously a World War II photo. Such a youngster! T his must have been shortly after he enlisted. He cheated on the eye test to get in, because he was so near-sighted. He failed twice, but each time he studied the eye chart once his glasses were back on. The army, being the army, never changed it, so he passed on the third try. This is my grandmother Ethel, my father, and baby sister Sarah he met when he came home from the war